Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Zacharius

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been a bit of a slump lately, and I recently signed up to the YMCA to get in shape... cause I'm getting ugly. Oy...

Anyway, I got these new headphones that let me hear my music SO much clearer and a piece of inspiration hit me. Some of you may remember my story in class called "Zacharius Iphus Nectarios" the one about the bat in love with a human girl. He goes to visit his crazy brother and gets the ring, right? Well, that's part of a much much larger story that I even wrote a book to once... it was pretty shitty. Don't ask to read it. It's a travesty... but the story has stuck to me because I've always wanted to retell it.

Benjamin has been trying to get me to write stuff that's more... normal... believable... real world situations. I agree for the most part, but I just can't get out of my head the idea of a story that has something unbelievable to it. Some little bit of magic, or a creature that doesn't exist... SOMETHING to take away from the stagnant reality... and it hit me...

I had a few ideas regarding Zacharius and Wynan Thatch... Lets remove all the anthropomorphic animals and the vast majority of crazy epic magic. We have this normal every day joe named Zach who is in love with another guy. (yes, the gay thing... bear with me... it's the only way that really makes it work, or it turns into a different story with a different meaning entirely... hell, we may as well turn it into Romeo and Juliet if we leave it as "boy meets girl" etc...) Anyway... This other guy kinda likes him too, but not in a totally committed way... bored already?

I'm unclear with the details, yet... I've just gotten the idea, k? I'm writing this down to get it out since I can't find my journal for some reason... SO, this other guy who seems non-committed would be... Wynan... k?
NOW, there's a third person. He's seen as a terrorist. Let's call him Jesse... (he was previously a raccoon necromancer who simply could not die and loved to kill people to make them his zombie slaves... Think Alex (main character from Clockwork Orange) meets Panic at the Disco (band) and Avenged Seven Fold (band) ... He's toned down just a tad... seriously, he pretty much just isn't a raccoon anymore, but he's also not quite so open with his abilities to live through anything and make zombie slaves... In fact, none of the crazy magic shit doesn't even appear until like... at least half way through the story...) Jesse aka Black Spectre as he calls himself.
Now... Zach doesn't really have anything to offer Wynan other than his affection. He tries to convince Wynan that they should be together... Wynan is iffy but not completely against the idea... you know how that goes... There's drama and complications... Black Spectre ends up becoming notorious, on the news everywhere, etc... then just vanishes.
Wynan gets captured (or Zach... undecided...) by Jesse... one has to get over (Zach - Fear, Wynan - Necessity to stay inconspicuous or whatever...) to go after Jesse to discover his hideout in an abandoned nuthouse... sanitorium... whatever... You know how this ends...

Now, I could leave out all magic entirely and it would still hold together as a good story just fine. Jesse is just a really intelligent terrorist who takes Wynan away because they have history together... w/e... However, if I remove all that, then we're missing out on some really fun scenes. I'll give a couple examples.

Zach is invited over to Wynan's place. He gets there a little early and overhears a Wynan talking loudly... it sounds like a phone call. "...You know you're not supposed to talk to me! I told you to stop! ... No. Unless there's a significant danger or emergency, you keep your mouth shut! ... Look, I get it, you care about me, but if someone finds out about us, we could get in big trouble... Look, Zach is coming over, so please stay quiet, ok? We can spend some time alone later, alright?" Zach enters after the conversation ends to see Wynan texting on his phone and a hand over the hilt of his lucky silver dagger hanging on his belt... remember that thing? Yeah... he's talking to the dagger...

So... another scene in mind. Jesse has captured Wynan knowing full well what Wynan (or his bound dagger is capable of). Jesse kills Wynan. Wynan resurrects as his younger self (due to certain properties of the dagger's magic), which is exactly what Jesse wants before he kills him again only to enslave his body and soul, preventing the Dagger's magic from resurrecting him again... at all... until Jesse's magic is released. In comes Zach with nothing to offer the situation except his normal human self... maybe he has a gun... whatever use that would be... Somehow gets hold of the silver dagger which starts talking to him to help him succeed in the situation to free Wynan from Jesse's grasp, and the rest is history...

Let me know your thoughts. I can do it with or without the magic, but there's just so much fun to be had with these characters together, and I NEED a relatable protagonist for once.

Sorry again for not keeping in touch much... There's a lot of personal stuff going on with family... I don't feel up to talking about it yet... but yeah... Story... thoughts?

~Wes

2 comments:

  1. Why is he a terrorist? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to be a rogue psychopath or criminal of some kind? I feel that the terrorist as a bad guy in stories is a far too used cliche nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fair point... I was just kinda using that as a general term, but I see your point.

      Delete